Who is your ideal applicant?
The ideal applicant is an experienced, reflective practitioner passionate about utilizing progressive, constructivist pedagogy to achieve equitable outcomes in schools. He/she is interested in creating innovative and equitable learning environments for 21st century learning, where leadership is shared and students and teachers voices are honored. The GSE recognizes the importance of admitting students with diverse experiences and perspectives, as well as students with experience serving disadvantaged students.

Applicants range from teacher leaders who are interested in deepening their classroom practice and developing their leadership skills to emerging or current school leaders who are interested in leading an innovative school focused on deeper learning and equity. 

What is the schedule for M.Ed. students?
The program is available as a one-year, full-time program or two year, part-time program for working professionals. Students in the full-time program have class two to three times per week, with two classes occurring in the evening and one class occurring during the day, in addition to the full-time residency at their school site. The residency follows the school schedule and graduate students typically spend four days a week at their school site engaged in teaching and leadership work, and one day outside of their school site observing classrooms or shadowing school leaders. Students in the part-time program have class one time per week in the evening and are typically employed in schools. Classes are three hours long. The academic year begins the first week of August and concludes in early June.


I don't have a teaching credential and I would like to get one. What do I do?
The High Tech High teacher intern credentialing program is designed for educators who have already secured a position as a teacher in a school. The majority of teacher interns are teaching within High Tech High schools. To apply for a teaching position at an HTH school, go here. A small number of schools within the San Diego area have formed partnerships with High Tech High so that teachers at those schools can earn a credential. If you are an administrator at a school and would like to form such a partnership, please contact the director of credentialing program.

How does the teacher credentialing program work?
All teachers, including teachers in charter schools, must have paperwork claiming that they are highly qualified. In order to demonstrate that you are highly qualified, you must possess a B.A., demonstrate subject matter competence, and have a teaching credential. In order to enter the HTH teacher credentialing program, you must have these first two requirements completed and have obtained a California intern credential. Once you are admitted to the HTH teacher credentialing program, you will participate in weekly courses for the first year. You will then complete two additional courses in the second year, as well as complete the PACT teaching performance assessment. More information about our teacher credentialing program is available here.

How do I obtain a California Intern credential?
In order to obtain a California intern credential, you must possess a B.A., demonstrate subject matter competence, get fingerprinted, get hired by a school (such as HTH) that has an intern program and apply to the state of California for an intern credential. You can complete this last step once you are hired by an HTH school, but you can do other things such as complete your B.A. and demonstrate subject matter competence beforehand. More information about California intern credentials is available here.

How do I demonstrate subject matter competence?
Typically, in order to demonstrate subject matter competence, a teacher must pass a CSET in each subject matter area that they teach. For example, for a teacher of 9th grade math and physics, the teacher must pass the CSET in physics and in math (levels I and II). In rare instances, your B.A. or graduate level work may qualify you as having subject matter competence. This is normally only if you did both your B.A. and any graduate work at a California institution. The university you attended can help you determine if you have enough coursework to demonstrate subject matter competence. We have a number of teachers with Ph.D.'s in their subject matter who California did not consider to be highly qualified to teach that subject matter until they passed the CSET. We do not make these rules. More information about the CSET is available here.

Can I apply to work at High Tech High schools before I have completed all the requirements for an intern credential?
Yes! Please apply by going here. Know that you will need to complete all the requirements for an intern credential before you can begin working at a High Tech High school.

I have applied to work at High Tech High schools, and have not heard back yet, but I still have some questions about the teacher credentialing program. Who should I talk to?
We mean this warmly, but please understand that we receive thousands of applicants for our teaching positions. We prefer to limit conversation about our teacher credential program until after we have offered applicants a teaching position. We attempt to focus our limited resources on small class sizes for our students rather than on administrative overhead. This makes it difficult for us to respond to all inquiries.

Does the GSE have a license to operate a graduate school?
The High Tech High Graduate School of Education is a private institution that it is approved to operate by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.  Any questions a student may have regarding this that have not been satisfactorily answered by the institution may be directed to the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education at: 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Sacramento, CA 95833. www.bppe.ca.gov  (888) 370-7589 or by fax (916) 263-1897.

Is the High Tech High Graduate School of Education an accredited institution?
Yes, the High Tech High Graduate School of Education is accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501, 510.748.9001.

Can GSE students receive federal financial aid? 
Yes, the GSE was approved to offer Title IV federal funding beginning in June 2014. Financial aid for graduate students consists primarily of unsubsidized federal direct loans. Please review the Financial Aid FAQ's for more information. To apply for aid, follow Steps to Apply for Financial Aid.

I would like to learn more about High Tech High and the High Tech High philosophy of teaching, but I don't want to earn a Master's degree. Can I?
Yes, we encourage you to attend one of the many HTH GSE Residencies that we put on throughout the year for just this purpose, or to participate in our one-year hybrid Education Leadership Academy. More information about these opportunities is available here.

 •  Institutional Research  •  FAQ's  •  BPPE Documentation  •  Contact Us  • 
HTH Graduate School of Education  •  2150 Cushing Road, San Diego, CA 92106  •  (619) 398-4902